Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Lares Inca trail

So much to say about the Lares Inca trail. 
First I thought I was doing the Classic Inca Trail to Machu Picchu but we did the Lares Inca Trail .
We started in the rain just a drizzle up the mountain. We had bought little toys and stuff for the children along the trail, there were maybe two schools I think along the trail. We gave them out and spent some time with the children. They were so excited to receive the little toys!  We continued uphill. This trail reminded me of the Wonderland Trail up up up !
The first night we camped around 13,000 and When I lay down, my head began to  ache and realized that I had altitudes sickness, my guide gave me oxygen and told me to stay in the tent and keep warm! I did so !
Somewhere in the early night I began to throw out and out and out as Yohn says, By morning I was very weak with very little sleep Yohn says to me you will be riding a horse today! They put me on a horse and up an up we went! 
There were times when the mountain was too steep for the horse and I had to get off the walk. Our guide Wilham  would take my arm and help me up the mountain  as I could hardly breathe and was so weak! I thank my God for him!
We continued on the trail again up and up and up and again on the steep parts I would have to walk! We went over the Hualcajasa pass at 15000 feet!!! Faithful  Willham would always be there!
We were almost to the the lunch site and we had to go down the Steephill I had to get off and walk again The Porter who was leading the horse went first and was grazing the horse while waiting for me.
When he saw I was almost there he went to get the horse and the horse took off for the campsite! We were still a good mile or more away. So altitude sickness and all I drug myself into the site and lay down while the others enjoyed the wonderful lunch provided!
After a good rest at lunch I walked the rest of the way to the campsite seemed like 100 miles but Wilhelm was there and my tent mate, nurse, just all around friend Sue , and we made it, of course the last into the camp almost at dark!!! 
But we made it!
I am immediately lay down and slept for two hours and woke with a healthy appetite, ate and the next day I was back to myself!!
(Pictures to come later as they are on my camera)


No comments:

Post a Comment